The old customs house, mountain Smuggling Interpretation Centre
Children and adults will enjoy a fascinating trip back in time, learning about the game of cat and mouse that went on between the smugglers and the customs officers (known as "gabelous") in the mountains of the Portes du Soleil before the advent of winter sports. With lots of eyewitness accounts and a fascinating exhibition packed with documents and illustrations, the Old Customs House tells the story of a picturesque world full of surprises! Temporary exhibition: "Chatel since 1947" In the 1940s, most smugglers gave up their activity, in favor of more respectable trades in the field of tourism which is booming. And during the winter of 1947/1948, Châtel opens its first lift! How much has been done since then ...
Free shuttle service during summer and winter periods.
From 24/12/2017 to 29/04/2018 between 2 PM and 6 PM.
Closed on Saturday.
Closed exceptionally on January 1st and December 25th.
- Lakeside or by stretch of water
- Lake view
- Mountain view
- Close to a public transportation
- Ski resort
Adult: 4 €
Child (8-15 years): 3 €
Group adults: 3 €
Group children (8-15 years): 3 €.
Free entry for children < 8 years.
Group rate available for > 10 people.
- Exhibition space
- Accessible for self-propelled wheelchairs
- Reserved space 330 cm wide < 20 m from the site
- Vertical signage of parking spaces
- Even flooring with no obstacles
- Absence of slope > 5%
- Doors >=77 cm wide
- WC + grab handle + adequate space to move
- Site, building totally accessible
- Guided individual tours
- Unguided group tours
- Guided group tours
- Coach access
- Unguided individual tours