The villa Lumière town hall
This villa was bought unfinished in 1896 by Antoine Lumière, a painter and photographer from Lyon, who invented the instant photographic plates that would make him rich and famous. His sons, Louis and Auguste, invented cinema. Antoine Lumière modified the villa's plans and designed it to fit his tastes. Neo-Classical outside and eclectic inside, the building emanates opulence. The monumental oak entrance door is decorated with bronze bas-reliefs representing painting and sculpture. It is framed by two telamons, replicas of 17th-century Pierre Pugets, holding a pediment with a sun—an allusion to the family's patron name. The lake-side door is topped with a bronze copy of Michelangelo's The Thinker. The Villa Lumière is listed as a historical monument and has been Evian's City Hall since 1927.
Throughout the year : open daily from 9 AM to 11.30 AM except on Sundays, Saturdays, 01/01, 05/01, 05/08, 07/14, 08/15, 11/01, 11/11, 12/25.
- Town location
- Guided group tours
- Unguided individual tours