Fountain of Town Hall
During the 16th century, there was a “bourneau” (fountain) in the middle of the square which was attached to a column holding a capital topped by a stone cross with Christ on one side and the Virgin Mary on the other. The Bernese destroyed the monument and only the cross was (miraculously) saved and is now in the Musée du Chablais.
The current fountain was built here in 1737 by Thonon sculptors Delesmillières and Joly Copel. It is made of marble from the Vailly quarries. The lion muzzle and paws on the fountain were created by the Genevan sculptor François and were cast by the Lausanne master foundry worker Daniel Falques who was born in Dauphiné.
All year round, daily.
- In centre of town
- Close to a public transportation
- Unguided group tours
- Unguided individual tours