Train station Thonon-les-Bains
Work began on the station in 1878 as part of the building projects following Savoie becoming part of France. It was opened on August 30th 1880 with the first commercial train on the Collonges-sous-Salève/Thonon line.
It stopped being a terminus station in 1882 when the tracks were extended to Evian then Saint-Gingolph in 1886.
From then on, Thonon and its population of 5,447 became the door to Chablais thanks to its growth in tourism and ability to transport goods. Between June and September 1905, Thonon welcomed 114,500 travellers including 80,835 by train, before cars, coaches and lorries became competition from 1914 onwards.
However, objections have been raised about the railroad itself as it isolates the town from its fairground (Place de Crête) and cuts it off from Avenue des Vallées thus creating a sort of border in the town itself.
Use of the line is subject to a concession agreement in favour of the private company Paris-Lyon-Méditerranée that managed the railway system until 1937 before being replaced by SNCF.
After the steam train, the two decisive events were the change to diesel traction in 1968 and the electrification of the railway line in 1972.
From 01/01 to 12/31.
- In centre of town
- Thermal resort
- Close to a public transportation
- Unguided group tours
- Unguided individual tours