Overlooking the fishing port, the Castle of Rives dates from the Middle Ages and is listed as an historic building. It was the home of the Counts and Dukes of Savoy and became an industrial site after the Revolution.
The château was built to strengthen the western corner of the fortifications.
The château was passed from the Greysier-Féterne, a younger branch of the Faucigny sires, to the Rovorée family following a marriage in the 15th century and then to the Monastère du Grand-Saint-Bernard known as Montjoux (where the current name comes from). Following a fire in 1557, it was renovated and maintained until the end of the 18th century.
This château has quite a past. In 1752 it was used as Mauritian commandry headquarters and in 1791 it was sold to Count Janus de Sonnaz. During the French Revolution it was seized and used as a tannery then pottery. It became a plaster warehouse in the middle of the 19th century before being a private residence once again in 1920.
During World War II it was commandeered to confine occupying troops.
It later fell into the hands of those who would transform it into a short-lived private school and in 1999 the Lugon family gave it to the town of Thonon.
- Lakeside or by stretch of water
- Lake view
- Lake 5 km away
- Close to pleasure port
No entry, exterior visit
- Car park
- Not open to the public